Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What's Up Wednesday! - Happy Independence Day!

Hey Peeps!

Happy Independence Day everyone!  Today on What's Up Wednesday, I thought I'd share some fun techniques that I used on this sparkly card.  Embossing with specialty embossing powders and using sprays for fun backgrounds. I couldn't resist borrowing this sentiment from Ms. Katy Perry.





The background was spritzed with some of my ink sprays.  I was careful to keep the red to the outer edges so my sentiment would stand out better. I wanted to use the lines and stars from the Hanging Stars set by Liz Allen, to create the look of sparklers. I stamped the lines in black, lining them up along the bottom edge of the card, and I used the line stamp twice to continue the sparklers the length of the card.






I knew I wanted this card to be sparkly and I wanted to use glitter, but then I remembered that I had these great sparkle embossing powders in my stash in red, gold and silver.  Glitter would also be a great choice.  You could stamp the stars in a colored ink, and then trace the stars with glue and add glitter.  Another option would be to use the star stamp with a glue ink pad, or an embossing ink with a heat and stick powder (then heat with a heat tool), and finally add the glitter.





 
I used red distress ink with a red sparkly embossing powder for the letters, stamped with the Solid Whimsical Alphabet set.  I like how clean the letters in this stamp set come out.  They would be great to use on so many projects.  I wanted to intensify the red of the letters and since distress ink is "embossable", I was able to use it with the red and gold sparkle embossing powder.

Lastly, I hand cut a banner strip in white and used my own writing to add the beginning of my sentiment.  This is a great card to send not only on Independence Day, but it could also be used for New Year's Day or even for a Graduation card. It would work well with a variety of color combos too.

I hope this quick card ignites your desire to create something awesome of your own.  Have a fantastic 4th of July!

Julie

Stamps: Hanging Stars and Solid Whimsical Alphabet
Ink: Memento in tuxedo black by Tsukineko, Distress Inks by Tim Holtz/Ranger
Cardstock: Stampin' Up!
Other:
Dylusions Sprays - London Blue and Postbox Red by Ranger
Embossing Powders - Aegean Silver, Egyptian Gold and Rockin' Red from Judikens
Pen - Stampin' Up! Journaling Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...