Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Technique Tuesday - Alcohol Ink resist



 

Hi there Peeps-

I hope you are having a good week so far.  Today I am going to share a great technique I learned from Tim Holtz ages ago and recently revisited for an alcohol ink class I had recently.  This a is technique that essentially removes the alcohol ink from a transparency.  (the circular image in the background on the sample below)

I started with a piece of transparency film (acetate), a couple of colors of alcohol ink, a blending tool with a felt pad, alcohol ink blending solution, craft mat, any color of Archival Ink pad, rubber stamps, and paper towels.  

I dropped small amounts of both colors onto the transparency.

Then used the blending tool to smear the ink around.  I like to use short twisty movements.


 Add a small amount of blending solution to the felt pad to get the ink to blend and move around.

I have found that this technique only works with permanent dye based ink pads such as Archival Ink from Ranger.

Stamp across the acetate as desired.


Let the ink set for a couple of minutes then buff the surface of the acetate with a paper towel.  

Rubbing will remove the stamped ink.

 Look at the possibilities!


On this one, I stamped the opposite side of the transparency with Staz On ink and added a ribbon.


Have you ever tried this technique?  It's a favorite of mine.  I hope you will share what you make with our stamps.  

Enjoy the flight,
Carrie



12 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous!! I forgot about that technique...thank you for the reminder and the inspiration!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great technique, thanks for sharing! I have some alcohol inks but never use them because I'm not really sure what to do with them. I'll have to try this out ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This technique is so cool! Thanks for the inspiration Carrie! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous! Will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the best teacher who taught me the wonders of alcohol inks and I am so glad everyone else gets to learn from you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This inspires me to pull out the dozens of alcohol inks I collected when I first started papercrafting! I thought you needed glossy paper ever thought of acetate sheets...very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I gave it a try and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gheesh! Never heard of this one. So beautiful without much work! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. molt ben explicat i es precios

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun technique - had a play day with some friends recently and we really enjoyed doing this. Linked to you : http://lynettecollis.blogspot.co.nz/2016/05/play-day-with-alcohol-inks.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous technique just tried it, worked a treat. Question is, do you use the other side to mount on a card as its smooth but then the writing is back to front?

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...