Friday, May 24, 2013

Feature Friday - May Nesting Components kit Fun!

Happy Friday Bloggie Friends!!  Norma here to share the fun I've been having with the May Nesting Components kit.

I have two quick and easy projects to share with you today.  First up, I have this super cute altered block of wood.  


If you visit my blog, then you probably saw the video tour I shared of my creative space and remember the scrap piece of wood I had on my desk.  I save all kinds of things to either incorporate into a project or to alter.  It makes me SO happy when I finally use one of the things I've been holding onto because then I feel like less of a hoarder, lol.


I started out by prepping the wood with a coat of gesso.  You could skip this step and you would just have a darker undertone on your background.  


Next I covered the block with the Christy Tomlinson Coffee Filter Text Sheet.  To adhere, I just used a homemade mixture of decoupage (50% Elmers Glue & 50% Water).


I used the misting canvas flower but instead of misting, I actually painted it with gouache.  In case you're not familiar with gouache, it's a water soluble paint just like watercolors except it gives a more opaque finish.  All of the resist details showed through but I wanted them to be brighter so I just went over them with a white Signo pen. Then I added some dyed burlap for leaves.


I used a scrap of clear packaging from my hoard stash to stamp "thankful".  I wanted to make sure that it would standout against the background and not cover it up like a piece of cardstock would.  To finish up, I added some of the Pink Paislee paper goods.  Easy Peasy right?!!  Since this was so quick and easy, I decided to play around in my art journal.


This is a background that was already halfway done in my art journal.  I like to use up paints and inks left on my stencils by putting them in my art journal.  It helps clean them off without wasting my precious products and also saves time on future art journaling.


I added some scraps of the coffee filter text sheet, Pink Paislee journaling tags and used one of the circle frames from the paper goods pack as a mask.


To complete my design, I randomly stamped "so very thankful for you", added more paper goods and outlined the circles with india ink.  Another quick and easy project using this very versatile kit!

Thanks so much for joining me today! I hope I've inspired you to get creative and MESSY with your May Nesting Components kit.  If you don't have one yet, you can pick one up HERE but don't wait to long because they're going fast!!

Enjoy your weekend!!!


8 comments:

  1. So pretty! I really enjoy hearing about your mixed media work. It's so different than anything I've done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See that is what I love Norma - you take a piece of scrap wood and make it into something beautiful!! Fabulous journal page too:-) TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful projects Norma! Love that you hoard supplies too and don't waste anything:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work Norma! I really love the bright colors on your journal page. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Norma!!! You find beautiful in everything and that's such a special gift! Love what you did with the wood block and your journal page is so bright and happy... just stunning. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous, Norma!! I love the details and design!! It looks stunning!! And your journal page is amazing!! Fabulous as always!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Norma, you are *always* doing beautiful work and your journal page and wood block are no exception!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...