Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What's Up Wednesday - Clear Tar Gel ATC


Hi Paper Wings fans! Dana here today sharing an artist trading card that I created using Clear Tar Gel, the fun medium included in the Well Dressed Nesting Components Mixed Media Kit. I have limited experience with Clear Tar Gel, so I tried several different techniques with the gel to help familiarize myself with the product, which I'm sharing today in addition to my finished project.



I cut small pieces of scrap foam board to test several techniques. I gathered some simple tools; a spatula, plastic spoon, paper piercer and rub-on stylus, and acrylic paint.


I spread a layer of gel onto each board using a plastic spatula. This gel is very slow to dry, so I spread the gel over all three boards at the same time and didn't have to rush through my experimenting. The wet gel is opaque but dries completely clear.

For my first technique, I dotted small amounts of blue and purple acrylic paint onto the surface of a gel covered board. 


I then used a plastic spoon and a light spreading motion to mix the paint into the gel.


I let the gel dry overnight. This effect is super cool!

Next, I applied acrylic paint to a gel covered board just like above, but instead of using a plastic spoon to swirl the paint, I used a paper piercer to connect the drops of paint together.


I pulled the paper piercer through the dots of paint in a side-to-side motion.


I then pulled a rub-on stylus up and down the board to blend the paint, which created broader lines of color.

This is what the board looks like after drying overnight.


Lastly, I mixed Iced Enamels directly into the gel. I could have mixed paint, glitter, beads or fibers into the gel for this technique.


I used a plastic spatula to drip the gel onto the board.


This is what the board looks like after drying overnight.


This is a great way to add some shimmer to projects without the risk of having any of the product flake off. The Iced Enamels are completely sealed in the gel.


I had some leftover gel with Iced Enamels mixed in from the previous step and simply spread the extra gel onto a blank artist trading card using a plastic spatula. I applied the gel in an even layer and left the card to dry overnight.


I added this piece of chipboard from a past Nesting Components Mixed Media Kit to the card. I filled in the cloud with a piece of burlap that I brushed with white acrylic paint. I filled the raindrops with Clear Tar Gel, added a small drop of blue acrylic paint to each drop, and then used a paper piercer to swirl the paint through the gel. The red bird is from the For The Birds Nesting Components Mixed Media Kit. I used the Under The Weather Cling Stamp Set for the sentiment.

Thanks for stopping by today! I hope I have inspired you to try this fun medium!


8 comments:

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...